And now, a word from our sponsor

The Daily News--Book talk on paper.li

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Henry V Act III Scene IV, translated by Google Translate

HENRY V ACT III SCENE IV. The FRENCH KING's palace.


Enter KATHARINE and ALICE
KATHARINE
Alice, you've been in England, you speak the language well.
ALICE
A little, ma'am.
KATHARINE
I pray, teach me, I must learn to 
speak. What do you call the hand in the English?
ALICE
Hand? it is called handball.
KATHARINE
Handball. And fingers?
ALICE
Fingers? my faith, I forget the fingers; but I 
remember. Fingers? I think they are 
called by fingres; so, fingres.
KATHARINE
Hand in hand; fingers of fingres. I think 
I am the good schoolboy; I won two words 
of the English vitement. What do you call the nails?
ALICE
Nails? we call them nails.
KATHARINE
Of nails. Listen; tell me if I speak well: from 
hand of fingres and nails.
ALICE
Well said, Madame; it is very good Englishman.
KATHARINE
Tell me the Englishman on the arm.
ALICE
Of arm, madame.
KATHARINE
And elbow?
ALICE
From elbow.
KATHARINE
From elbow. I worry repetition of all the 
words you taught me a present.
ALICE
It is too difficult, madame, as I think.
KATHARINE
Excuse me, Alice; Listen: handball from fingres, 
of nails, arma of Bilbow.
ALICE
From elbow, ma'am.
KATHARINE
O Lord God, I forgot! of elbow. How 
do you call the cervix?
ALICE
From neck, ma'am.
KATHARINE
Nick. And chin?
ALICE
Chin.
KATHARINE
Sin. The neck, nick; chin, sin.
ALICE
Yes. Unless your honor, in truth, you pronounce 
the words as straight as the natives of England.
KATHARINE
I have no doubt learned, by the grace of God, 
and in a short time.
ALICE
Have not you ever forget what I teach you?
KATHARINE
No, I recite to you promptly: handball from 
fingres of mails--
ALICE
Of nails, ma'am.
KATHARINE
Of nails of arm of ilbow.
ALICE
Unless your honor, elbow.
KATHARINE
So I say; of elbow, nick, and sin. How 
do you call the foot and the dress?
ALICE
Football, madame; and coun.
KATHARINE
Football and coun! O Lord God! these are the words 
of the evil, corruptible, fat, and shameless, and 
not for the bridesmaids to use: I would 
say those words before the lords of France 
for everyone. Foh! ! football and coun 
Nevertheless, I recite my lesson again 
together: handball from fingres of nails, to arm from 
elbow, nick, sin, soccer, of coun.
ALICE
Excellent, madame!
KATHARINE
It is enough for once: are we to dinner.
Exeunt

No comments: